God is Green – Introduction (1 of 5)
Matt Crick, Mars Hill Bible Church 01/07/07
Story given to the freed slaves at Sinai:
God shares with his people that you weren't created to be slaves ...and it was good.
Genesis 1v26 - “man and woman he created them”
He creates things and us to be in relationships
1. with God, 2. with others, 3. with inner self, 4. with creation
God makes us to rule in loving stewardship, as a significant aspect of what we are created for
Out of the overflow of his love, we should *serve* and *protect*
'abod' – dress, serve
'shamar' – protect, attend to
Romans 8 – All of creation itself is groaning
Noah, post flood, plants vineyard, cultivate, be fruitful
Genesis 9 - My covenant with you and all creation/earth
Exodus – God rescues 600thousand people and their livestock and their herds
In slavery people worked 7 days and animals work 7days
God rescues both of them from slavery “neither your ox nor etc work...”
There is a rhythm which extends to the soil
In the beginning the spirit hovered over the water: order out of chaos
- Jesus too steps in to restore order to our chaos, in our lives, and in creation
- The liberation of Jesus death, is cosmic in its scope – as creation is longing for liberation
John 20 – Jesus is raised in a garden, creation begins in a garden
Mary, thinking he was the gardener...
New creation begins in a garden, Jesus is the original gardener
Col 1 – Reconcile all things, making peace, things on earth and heaven
Rev 21 – New heaven and earth:
The word should be “restored” ~ reconciliation, redemption, renewed
Same language as Paul in Corinthians: we are a new creation in Christ, the old has gone, the new has come
v2 Garden -- City
Technology is a good thing, used to the glory of god
Rev 22 – the heart of god for universal healing for all creation- ?garden city
Luke 24v13 – we had hoped...
Sometimes its hard to see Jesus on the road with us
--; despair in the face of environmental crisis
He comes alongside them on the road and tells them the story differently
The heart of Jesus – to invite us to join him in this restoring
In a host's home one would not take on the role of serving, breaking bread, but Jesus does that to help them see the way of suffering and serving – serve and protect
vs Adam and Eve chose to serve themselves
--> emotional and spiritual nakedness – despair shame fear.
When this couple allow Jesus to serve them, their eyes are opened in new ways – despair turns to hope
Paul (Corinthians) we have the mind of Christ,
A prophetic imagination to imagine things differently
to imagine shalom restored, bringing heaven to earth
Hearing the story only is not enough, we need to experience him,
intellectual assent alone does not allow us to see the full revelation of jesus,
We need to experience Christ living in us
God is Green – Serve God, Save the Planet (2 of 5)
Matthew Sleeth, Mars Hill Bible Church 08/07/07
“Serve God, Save the Planet”
(Personal Story: Dyslexia, ER, Doctor size life...)
(Personal Observations: Increasing rate of asthma, 3 women in 30s die of breast cancer, chance 1/19 --> 1/7 since he started medicine)
(States have changed their State Bird or State Tree etc due to extinction)
('The world is dying.' - No one can project out the numbers and not...)
(“We hug trees for Jesus” t-shirt)
Churches have had a theology of: we've got dominion, its all going to get zapped anyways
vs. The Bible that is a story about a material world that God made:
eg. 1 theme through the bible – the tree,
- Genesis - Tree of life, Tree of knowledge in Eden
- Revelation – Tree of life etc on either either side of the river in heaven
- Trees are mentioned 600 times in the bible-
- God loves them
- Christ works with trees as a carpenter, wood was valuable
- Christ die on a tree, of all possible Roman executions
- If a tree falls... God hears that tree, he hears every sparrow, he dresses every flower, all creation praises him
90% of Americans believe they are kinder than average
If we care about the environment, what is our foot print
Matthew ? – if you do this in love, you will be receivedGood Samaritan
– loving your neighbour, foreign neighbours, unborn neighbours,
– man attacked is still alive, so no loophole in the law over of corpse
- Samaritan gets down off his donkey, where it is dangerous, he has resources
1. look in the mirror yourself, through the bible/book study to assure yourself of God's command to care
2. as a group, what we do together, as a church...
- This is the cancer prevention centre
- This can't be 'religion'
(Regional recycling, needed help from the prison)
Plastic bags – 'trying to save the bag trees', use canvas bags
Pampers – use cloth diapers and line dry
?Environment to breast cancer link
Transport – hybrids...
- 20% better mpg go slower
- Gandhi – more to life than seeing how fast you can get through it
Smaller houses share
Diet – eg coffee – if not sustainable
knock down rainforest for efficiency but need stacks of chemicals
God is Green – Crackus Drivewayus Michiganus (3 of 5)
Rob Bell, Mars Hill Bible Church 15/07/07
We could look at Genesis, the Psalms.. Psalm19, Revelation
Job 38, 39, 40
There is a profound lack of pragmatism in God's stance towards nature – Donkey, Storehouses etc
God takes great joy and delight in creation, just because it is,
Not because it makes good leather belts, not for the money you can make .. just because it is
– God's primary posture/realtionship towards the physical nature is not production/consumption but pleasure or celebration, he basks in the beauty, randomness
v4, v6 – wisdom calls out
v22 first of gods works before oceans and hills
not 'what can these humans do for me', but 'have you seen them!'
like flowers, noe one asks, given flowers, 'oh what does it do?'
that he loves us just as we are
- A God of pleasure is a hard concept, we're ok with a God of rules but pleasure?
v7 according to his good pleasure
loves us exactly as we are
God's heart: that people, who God loves, would live in proper sustainable relationship with the earth that God loves. His intention is that the earth should feed us and feed our kids and feed our kids kids
We are not doing that.
- losing an acre and a half of rainforest per second
- 70 % of chinese rivers polluted unfit for human contact
- 4.6m people died from air pollution
- per year 50k species lost
- per day 63k dump trucks in US
- holiday season 5m tonnes, 4m of that bags and paper
- 14m pounds of rubbish into oceans last year
- 80% more trash that 15 years ago into 80% less landfills
How did we get in this mess? - sin
Systematic slavery: turn the crank harder
Sin distorts relationships
vs We are to live with mutual respect and honour
We use people, leaving them worse off
This exploitation comes out of entitlement: that creation is ours to use, to exploit
John 18 – my kingdom is not of this world 'cosmos' [?definition]
'cosmos' – people? For God so loved
'cosmos' – physical creation – life here on earth
'cosmos' – system or empire opposed to god
- Walter Wink – use 'system' for world
“My Kingdom is not of this system”
- systems of exploitation and entitlement
A follower of Jesus lives with an awareness that there are other competing systems in this world
Matthew 6 – do not store up treasure...eye is the light of the body..
The 'eye' is a Jewish euphemism for greed/generosity
If good eye, generous – your life will be filled with light
..No one can serve two masters..
clothes, flowers, glory of creation
in context of greed/generosity
It will cost something if you take this seriously that God is Green.
God is Green – Towers and Tomatoes (4 of 5)
Rob Bell, Mars Hill Bible Church 22/07/07
Innovation, progress, how could we do this better
Bricks: higher, faster, cheaper technology
Brick is not the problem, but it gives power and channels for harmony or disharmony
Inflated sense of our own ability
What are we going to do with powers and talents?
v4 – so that we will make a name for ourselves - we will be gods
3 tiered view of the world earth, then up to the heavens and down to the pits
1. There are those who place the hope and protection in the stuff they have, dependant on their stuff so for them there is no transcendent higher being/power
2. Others who have maintained a sense of innocence, dependence, mystery to creation reliance on a God who is higher than anything we could create
(Humour – God comes 'down' to see their 'big' tower)
What the brick does to them
it is possible for technology to separate us from important things
cuts us off from the cost of things
eg sushi air miles
Technology can isolate us from the source, cost and consequences
eg local food – tomatoes in winter
eg wearing a jumper from air-conditioned office
eg hermetically sealed cars, houses etc.
It does something to your soul, because it doesn't cut that connection, the connection to the God who brings things out of nothing.
Matthew 6v9 – give us today our daily bread – please keep me connected with the source of all things
'Localvores' – connections, relationships, people social fabric, families...
Give me my bread in such a way that I am connected and aware of how desperately we need you.
- If every family in America ate one locally grown meal a week – 800m barrels of oil would be saved.
- Average pasture to plate miles – 1200 miles
Pray: Save me from making towers
Technology will separate me and the brick will end up using me
Is it possible to use my bike, is it possible to walk
It is hard to consider the lilies at 70mph
Do you feel far from God?
We live in worlds that are isolated, insulated, incubated.. etc and then complain God is far
Less consumption – greater connection
Degrees of separation – cost and *cost*
God is Green – The New Seatbelt (5 of 5)
Rob Bell and Matt Krick, Mars Hill Bible Church 29/07/07
Leviticus 5 – The land must observe a Sabbath
have a relationship with the earth sustainable
2Chronicles 36 – exile for Sabbath not taken
2Chronices 7v14 if my people will humble themselves and ... I will heal their land
- 25% of energy bill from phantom power.
- Turn off off
- Consumer energy company – green energy plan
- CFL bulbs
- Recycling eg aluminium 95% less energy to recycle than to make new
- 1 ton of recycled paper saves 17 trees, 3 cubic yards of landfill 7000 gallons of water, 4200kwh, 390 gallons of oil, 60lbs air pollutants
- Recycling paper at the mars hill mall
-Junkmail [?] donaconsumers off mailing list
- 1acre of land can produce 50,000lbs of tomatoes, 40,000lbs potatoes, 30,000lbs carrots, or 250 lbs of beef.
- 2500 gallons of water 1lbs of beef
- 25 gallons of water – 1lb of wheat
- How is meat raised?
- Ethanol as a bio-fuel:affects the global poor as corn price goes up
(how biofuels could starve the poor.doc)
- 25gallons ethanol – 450lbs corn – calories for 1person for a year
- soy+corn – water pollution, soil erosion, nitrogen runoff, pesticides, etc
- habitat loss if corn production..
- corn – ethanol requires fossil fuels in conversion
(*who killed the electric car) (pellet stove)
- habitat for humanity
- rate it green – triple bottom line
- eartheasy – earth friendly cleaners
*for the beauty of the earth
*living the good life on god's earth
*serve god ,save the planet
*saving god's green earth
*theology of ecology – matt krick
There was a change in attitudes to seat belt when it was presented as a life or death issue
So to here, we need an attitude change. This is a life and death issue
God is Green
Libby, Trent Vineyard 30/10/07
(not available) http://trentvineyard.co.uk
St Augustine, Jonathan Edwards quotes
(Picture of beauty)
Genesis it was very good
Creation out of love, the world as an over flow of their love
* Serve god, save the planet
Leviticus 25 – the land is his
- living more simply
Ecology of Church (1 of 3) - What is the place of church in the world?
Nick Sutton, Coventry Vineyard 13/1/08
How do we relate with each other and those outside
Ecology as study of relationship to natural and built environment.
'oikos' – internal/external ecology of church
Relationships – significant connections
Churches are becoming more disconnected from society
50,000 churches in UK
We underestimate the power of the local church
'Niche' - every living thing has its place
Why do we do church? What is its place in society?
(Congregation: tell the truth/ represent Jesus/ fellowship / equip, encourage, express / make disciples / flavour / preserve society / salt and light / see god's kingdom come.)
NS: the church exists for mission
people dying alone...
Do you know you neighbours?
Do you know a significant fact about that neighbour?
(Map exercise) ..to neighbour next plus one
How are you impacting the place you live?
What are we doing to love difficult people in church?
Ephesians – all about relationships, god, man, husband, father
Eugene Peterson – “God is doing reconciliation and restoration...[?]”
- imperative that we join in vigorously
- pursue a long range plan
- how is god bringing order and restoration through us..
Interconnectedness of 'Love God' and 'Love people'
How are we doing this?
- Obedience – serving, sharing, love people
- Towards shalom - to affect the lives of people
- lead people to Jesus, develop and equip together
- Empower people for a purpose
Brian McLaren – “we are deligamented”
Religion – to be re-ligamented
Community and Creation (Women's Breakfast)
Miranda Harris (Arocha), St Aldates, Oxford, 17/11/07
Technology and our connectionsNeil Postman – Amusing Ourselves to Death
“Entertainment is the supra-ideology of all discourse on television, no matter what is depicted from what point of view, the over-arching presumption is that it is there for our amusement and pleasure ... even news etc.. news show is a format for entertainment not for education, reflection of catharsis”
Lauren Winner – Real Sex
“Today some people think of home as a warm place, some as a cold place of abuse, some think of them simply as houses where people co-habit... a place in between the places that matter, the work places where we earn the money pay for those lifestyle things, phones tv etc..”
Areas of broken relationship – 1. god-man, 2. man-man, 3. man-natureImportant to differentiate the 'environment' or 'creation'
Acts 17 – We are placed. God places us in time and place
We are not born into a vacuum, we are born into a place and time
Eugene Peterson “The resurrection plunges us into relationship with brothers and sisters we never knew we had. We are in community whether we like it of not.”..... “We are born into community, we are not solitary, self-sufficient individuals”
- Community is the setting Christ is at play
- With people we don't approve of or like..
- We are not as liberty to chose all the time
- We can lower our masks of composure
- We have Christ in us the hope of glory
- Allow him to transform us, then we leak out to other people
Broken relationship with nature
Are we carrying out our discipleship as if we are in relationship with the Lord of Nature/Creation?
vs Steven Vinger: “Enlightenment's view of nature as something to be overcome and mastered.”
To meet our needs of as something that speaks of god?
Peter Harris (Arocha), St Aldate's, Oxford, 18/11/07
Acts 17v22-34- The environment is the issue of our times, driver of refugees, disease, species extinction and of these might be motive enough for Christian involvement but more than this...
- The environmental movement has gone down the root of guilt, consciously promoting this method...
- This has resulted in a green-lash, because people simple cannot handle the guilt
Romans 8 - new creation, in the womb of this one, these are the pains of child birthAgenda of the church should not be driven by the whimsical issues of the front pages.
She who marries the spirit of the age, quickly finds her a widow.
In Church there should be a cheerful madness!
- In the charismatic movement's DNA there has been a problem in its reading of eschatology.
- DL Moody was not a great theologian, believed this world was blasted and that all we must do is preach etc.. try to save souls off this sinking ship..
- vs if renewed creation, there is a continuity.
- It is our job to show what this kingdom means.
- Disconnected fractured society and individualistic children of the enlightenment even in our theology.
- God does love you, he does offer you healing, but it is not all about you
-- You cannot love Rembrandt and trash his paintings
Christ etc reconnects us with God, with each other and with natureThrowing away... where is away in God's creation?
Psalm 139 – where can I go away from your spirit.
Only God changes us.Paul in Athens notices their idols
In the west we belong to a genetically modified church, the DNA of our age is one of materialism, and individualism.. Our society's DNA gets patched into our church, there are churches preaching “stuff =happiness”. Where as [affluenza etc] the more you have typically makes you no more happy.
We have read scripture creation blind..Reasons to care for creation from Acts17
- v24 God who made the world, Paul references God from creation, it is how we know who he is
- We have to detox from consumerism, we are so connected with people in the world, we share the same father, creator planet.
To live a real life, is to live in his world.
Abusing time and place is abuse of creation, we use things up, [spending capital, rather than returning on a borrowed investment]
Do not be loaded with guilt, be grateful for the good, for the trees
Be defined by Joy and Gratitude
This is not bolt on ethics, it is a response to the Glory of God
Go for environmental excellence as a witness to God's heart for the world.
(Involve the kids in the service)
The Neglected Assurance (1 of 4)
Tri, Boise Vineyard 27/02/05
Trip up to log cabin alone – up mountain
--> epiphany that God must exist
Power of the wilderness and solitude
Haven't I seen the face of the Lord
A realisation of a higher power
(Story of Noah's ark balloon and message when planting Boise Vineyard)- How do we know that God is real? How are you sure?
- How do you know that he sent his some, that he save you, that the bible is true?
1John John saw Jesus, this is a first hand apostolic witness, testimony
We can read that Jesus fulfilled ~200 prophecies..
As Christians we have stood on the word,
We have looked at the Greek and Hebrew, we have gone through archaeology
Bringing substance to what we believe
Hebrews 11 – Faith is the assurance of the things unseen
Hoped for: eternal life, god's existence
We have 'conviction' due to evidence
(2) 1John3v24 – work of the Spirit he gave us
.. and this is how we know that he is in us, us in him
that we just know it in our knower...
Ecclesiastes – eternity set in the hearts of man
(3) A transformed life,
Changed attitudes, Sanctification, walking into holiness
How we react to life..our behaviour is an indicator
v10 this is how we know
v14 we know because we love
v16 this is how we know what love is
(4) An assurance often neglected, especially in recent yearsRomans 1v18 The wrath of God is being revealed... those who suppress the truth by their wickedness
v19 Men who suppress because God has made it plain to them ... men are without excuse
- God has revealed himself through creation, but we have messed it all up and people started worshipping nature
Through the 60s we watched this happen.
Much contemporary Christianity is positioned in reaction to that, against the New Age, even Animism etc..
We should view the bible through the lens of this fourth assurance, consider the environment at every mention of creation.
- we have neglected an assurance and we have neglected a responsibility
- As with ministry to the poor we have got to earn back the right to work in environmentalism
- Ministry to the poor was taken away because the church turned its back on it.. etc also in civil rights, slavery..
Even Christians who care, have divorced it from church because they don't know where/how ...because of perception.We have to come with repentance
We have to build a ministry over time, it has to become part of our lifestyle over time.
We have a heart of servanthood, it needs to be turned on to this issue.
Beyond just doing recycling ourselves, --> service
A point of education, point of discipleship
The Church has bought False Theologies:
- 'Manifest Destiny' – that its all ours to use up
No sense of management – so we are paying for that.. extinct buffalo etc
vs heritage, legacy issues
- Its all going to burn anyway – bad theology
---> We need to be a radical middle3 objectives:
(1) Stewardship and Discipleship
- An issue of biblical truth
- Reclaim the environment, synonymous with creation
- Consider Noah's ark: What did God save there?
- Heritage and Legacy
- What are we passing on to the kids?
- God exists, God loves, God has a plan for you
- How are you going to leave things better?
- Leaving healthy kids, sow biblical truth into future generations//
(need for expertise)Convictions of environmentalists in the 60s faded and sold out to become the yuppies of the 80s because their truth is relative, no one can agree, there is [no epistemological anchor, no unifying ideology]
vs we know the creator, we have to recognise our responsibility, and pursue unity with the global church over our worship of one God to then make it outwork into a global Christian response to the issue of the environment
eg. 1/3 less use of wilderness areas than 10 years ago
?because of broken families..
- people aren't getting out there together in nature
- seeing God in nature changes you
- part of discipleship is teaching kids to play less computer games
The attitudes we have to the environment are a barrier to the gospel... This is a door to evangelism. People looking for a church that cares for the environment.
(3) A pathway for other churches
If my people ... call on my name.. heal their land..
- Service and Blessing the Community
- Kingdom Mentality – upside down etc
Where on Earth? (2 of 4)
Mike, Boise Vineyard 06/03/05
Rhythm in the writing writing.
Stress not to miss forest for the trees, not immediately to be viewed through our modern western scientific lens
Hebrew thought not so abstract – ?concrete
Hebrews 11v3 – Universe created at God's command... by faith we believe... this is a faith issueGenesis is foundational, stands at the beginning of the Bible because Creation is a fundamental theological foundation. God's continuing ordering and blessing at every level is creational. Only in relationship to creation can God's subsequent acts through Israel be understood. The placement of creation show God's intentions with Israel are universal in scope, and that God's work in redemption, serves creation, the entire creation that labours under the pervasive effect of sin.
(Paraphrase of Genesis 1-11, 5 stories, 7 key points)
(6 - minus Noah (third sermon))
Does your life reflect that truth?
Is your life any different compared to those who say we came from nowhere, with no purpose, that we came from mud, and there is no intention in our being here?
Connections between theology of the Trinity and environmental discussions
Interrelated community defined as love
Need to move from man-centred life to we haven't made it, we can't save it
Psalms 148 – Praise him, Praise him
caught up in what the Earth is already doing – worhsip, all heven and creation engaged in praising
God made the world... how do we fit in here?
'Eved' – Serve, slave or servant
'Jamar' – Keep, Know, Protect, as in a sheep fold, know them by look by smell etc.
Lovingly cherish these animals
How do we rule? Like Jesus – serving, washing feet
God, how can I wash the feet of creation today, not how can I wash my feet in creation.
(2) We live in a cosmos not a chaos
Comforting rhythm of ordered creation:
God said.. and there was evening.. and it was good,
God said.. and there was evening.. and it was good..
God help me to move in the unforced rhythms of grace, that you have put in creation.
(3) We live in a related world
a mesh, we are right in the midst of it
we are called to have a significant role.
The Trees of the Lord.
They are his, we are tenants, not 'this land is my land, this land is your land..'
How involved is God in this thing anyways?
How many of us live with a practical deism that God wound this up and it sort of runs itself?
He feeds the lions, makes trees for the birds to nest in, wine to gladden th hearts of management
(4) We live in a world where peace is primordial
Jesus has the last word, he is alpha and omega
Sin does not have to define creation or define us
we become agents of liberation
(5) We live in a world where human ingenuity is not going to answer earth's ills
Babel: maybe they were building so he'll never flood us again..
Hard for us to hear now, when technology is everything.
Vs his foolishness is greater than our wisdom.
Where the answer maybe found: a fellowship of friends, children of Abraham
(6) Children of Abraham are the answer
Who will leave their walled up city lives and breath the prayer “Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth..”
God places us at the crossroads to be a blessing.
Agents of Change (3 of 4)
Tri, Boise Vineyard 13/03/05
Discipleship is not just cognitive, its hands and feet, its participation – as we have begun with the poor, and mission to other countries...
The environment is more than a topic to teach for a few weeks and then move on, this is a value to bring into our very being, [our DNA]Administration needed for a people with a heart for this, the enemy will paralyse us with the scale of the problem. God will help you take the first step
Noah: God calls him to the supernatural to build a boat never seen before..
Imagine him talking to his sons to cut up the first piece of Goeffer wood into planks...
He saw god in the plan he was faithful.
Hebrews 11 – Noah is a hero of the faith doing thing based on the unseen
Romans 1 – Righteousness that comes by faith - by faith we don't become overwhelmed
- God is a god who takes us out of the gutter and restores us
- Who is on the ark? *Faithful man* and *creation* - because god wants to save man and his creation and man is the agent of change by which god wants to do it
- The rainbow has been stolen from us by all kinds of groups, it is Gods covenant between him and the earth and every living creature. We need to take this rainbow back
we need to lead by example, if god has called us to this. Noah is our example
God is calling people to be agents of change, people God calls out to say 'I want your life and your life together to make a difference'...
(2) – God is calling you
Build a church that loves people
He is into salvation, conservation, redemption. He is making all things new
He often/always gives revelation to people who feel inadequate, to imperfect men, that we should not pursue it with pride
eg. to Gideon hiding in a hole: I've got a plan for your life against the Midianites...
(4) – There is a physical response
2Chronicles 7v14 – if my people will repent etc then I will hear them, forgive and heal their land.
Then, as Moses crossing the Red Sea... stop praying start walking!
Zaccariah building temple.. dormant for 15 years.
Prophets haggai and zacc – who despises the day of small things?
God is calling a people. Doing the right thing makes a difference. Serve your city.
Genesis 9v11 – responsibility and accountability
we are accountable for sanctity of life, for care of the animals etc
we are pro-life, God loves life
- There is wisdom towards management contained in the Bible
- If you do this you will live a long and healthy life, things will go well for you in the land.
v8 Covenant of rainbow
Environmental Ripple Effect (4 of 4)
Tri, Boise Vineyard 20/03/05
(home – city – wilderness)
Ripple effect: change in our lives then moves outwards.
We are connected to nature: it sustains us, we impact it
Let your environment be changed with the motive of the love of God before we try to change the world's environmentRomans 8 - Creation has been groaning, Creation waits for the sons of god to be revealed.
If there is to be environmental reformation, it has to start in the Heart of management when we know who we are in Christ the spirit will all those gaps, we know our sonship – we know all that he has done..
Environmentalism begins in the heart.
What is the environmental condition of me heart?
Sin contaminates the heart.
The heart impacts the environmental condition of the Mind
What environmental clean up needs to take place in my mind?
Body- therefore I urge you to offer your bodies as living sacrifices...
he has brought freedom that you might reach out beyond yourself.
Most abuse to your body comes from bad thinking and a bad perspective of self
Your body doesn't belong to you.
It belongs to God
2Corinthians 7 - Since we have these promises lets us keep ourselves from everything that contaminates and pollutes body and spirit, outward and inward perfecting holiness out of reverence for god.
- We now have obligations to look after these things that don't belong to you
- Changes what we eat, how we exercise etc
- It is the vehicle by which we might do great things for god.
- Are we tending the garden of our body god has given us?
(1) Heart – (2) Mind – (3) Body – Beyond- Ripple effect – (4) Family/Home - eg. if your desk isn't clean, it affects your work.
Malachi 4 – peace in the home or else..
John the baptist preached repentance
(Pictures in the outdoors exhibition)Acts 5v32 – (5) Church - All the believers were of one heart and one mind and felt what they had was not their own
- If we can't love people in church, how can we love beyond
- Powerful witness and God's favour
- A new reality of stewardship
- We go out together, we express with our bodies, cleaning up etc
- So have joy! Make your church environment good
(6) Your Community and Neighbourhood
- love yourself, you are a miracle --> give it away
- love them, serve them, clean things up
(7) The World.
- Once we can look beyond ourselves, our own needs
- When we involved Christ in our struggle to be happy, to stay married, to etc.. it literally frees us up to love the world
- it is for freedom that you have been set free.
- No longer in bondage, no longer paralysed, our desk is clear, we have cleared our hearts and minds of the toxicity..
Pray: God thank you for my life, my body, my family, my church, my community. Thank you for creation.
There is no such thing as Christian ethics (1 of 5)
Jason Clark, Sutton Vineyard 03/18/07
God is light, if we are in him, his blood purifies us from all sin
The Christian life is about entering into the light
This is about truth vs confusion and uncertainty in environmental issues
We need to step back from specific 'environmental' issues
Problem with Christian Ethics: it becomes an add-on
If God is Light etc.. to be a Christian is to be ethical
In so many ways we live the same as non-Christians.
How have we got here? By viewing ethics as an add on.
(1) – The Christian faith has been dominated by thinking in our heads,
- Out of modernism, rationality and 'good thinking'.. we have tried to prove Christianity
- vs in many ways there is a mystery to our faith.
- If we submit to this idea that Christianity can be proved and is *all* rational, it becomes about believing the right things *only*, intellectually assenting in your head and nothing to do with what you do.
becomes very private
also reduced to something you believe in your head to go to heaven when you die
doing the stuff in between becomes optional
- We have been believing in the wrong way and we have been believing wrong things.
- Misappropriating the bible to justify subduing other cultures, subduing dominion, empire.
- “The earth is something to use up”
- “If the world is going to be flushed away when Jesus comes back. We've got to save souls not trees”
- “If we use up the earth Jesus will come back sooner!”
- We have to look at how the things we believe as Christians allow us to destroy the planet quite comfortably eg. Slavery: we look back and think how could those people think they were Christian and keep slaves?? so now how could those Christian in 2007 still drive cars? CSLewis calls this chronological snobbery
(3) – We have a faith dominated by consumerism and commodification.
- There used to be a connection between who we were and what we did eg Neil Smith – Neil son of a smith, out of a family of smiths... this has been swept away to be defined as we are what we consume. This is not all back, but we have to be aware of how and why things happen now.
- Money disconnects you, we have not interest in who people are of what they do.
- The market has no interest in letting us know who made things from what in what conditions paid what amount...
- The ritual of shopping does something to our souls.
- We are disconnected. eg. Moby – Negro-Spiritual – completely disconnected in the way we value things – are they cool? are they cheap? .. Primark disposable clothing (!)
- We consume action,
- We sign a petition, we buy a stop-the-traffik t-shirt etc. We buy a ticket to make poverty history concert, we don't know how to do things without consuming and having a good time.
- Is god bringing stuff into my life that need. Does Christianity exist to make me feel good? We are rich, we think we are poor ---> status anxiety – we gave £300m to the tsunami, vs £300m trades in one day's racing at Cheltenham racecourse.
We see stuff on tv, think there are other people to help, think we can't do anything...
- Kingdom of God is not the consumer dream.
- When this life becomes about having more, time collapses, the future will pay for itself
- Problem with Christians now is that we are trying to live two lives now: eternal life collapsed into this life
- If we don't life forever [young] now, there is no God
- There is no ideology now [?because there are no martyrs because we are living forever now]
- vs Wilberforce gave his life to an ideology
We have no politicians giving their career to end poverty
Politics supports our consumer way of life.
No ideology, nothing to die for?
When it comes to ideology, the church petitions against.. homosexuality? What about the poor?1
Church is about providing a service,
99% of people have a Christian burial
vs only 7% (2%) connected to church
Matthew 10v38 Anyone who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
Unless we address the issue of consumerism we will consume environmental Christianity- What do we believe? What is the gospel?
- How do we believe? Just in your head?
- How do we practice of our belief?
- Is green Christianity just an add-on?
Slaves of Jesus (2 of 5)
Jason Clark, Sutton Vineyard 25/03/07
- After 3hours speech “you may chose to look the other way, but you can never again say you did not know.”
- 2 main areas of contemporary slavery – forced labour and forced prostitution
- 277m slaves in the world today
- $9.5b gnerated
- 2m children involved
There is a malaise. The 15-35 demographic think they are teenagers and don't take life seriously. When we want to take action there may not be plenty of time, things are urgent right now.
This is not one person:
Wilberforce.. he is standing on the shoulders of the Quakers, of Paul, etc some of us believe we can be a Christian on our own. Christianity is all about doing life together. Other Christians motivated Wilberforce, encouraged him to explore his gifting, those at the Clapham dinner etc
[Individualism begets lone ranger Christians] who run into the problem of thinking I am not that hero Wilberforce..
The Kingdom is all about the little we can give.This is all possible in the freedom of Jesus. We are all salves, we must exchange slaveries to one under Jesus, that or we will be taken down by addictions etc..
Redemption and Stewardship (3 of 5)
Jason Clark, Sutton Vineyard 15/04/07
Everything is connected. Creation, all of that out there
Creation is waiting for us, the Sons of God, not waiting for Jesus to come back but for God's will to be revealed through us.
Redemption – like restoring a broken down car..
The things we do have reverberations for eternity
Dallas Willard – Divine Conspiracy:
“Kingdom of Heaven is the air we breathe..”
“This life is preparation of eternity”
...Well done Jason, now look after a few solar systems...
Do we have this view of eternity?
Ripple Effect – your life has eternal consequence
(1) Heart – what is the environmental condition of my heart?
Mk12 – Is your heart polluted? Are you squandering you soul life? Is it not all available to love God? Are you tending well the garden of you heart?
vs if it feels good, do it.
Unthinking passions, fleeting feelings etc.
What do we let into our minds? What do we then dream and hope for?...
(3) Body – our bodies are good
vs Bad Christian attitudes to dance, music, sex ...
Things are meant for good.
We are fearfully and wonderfully made
Do we think of ourselves and our bodies in those terms?
Is the atmosphere full of anger and bitterness?
Or is it ordered around Christ?
What are the rhythms and activities?
Is it a place to learn the purposes of Jesus in connection with other people?
vs vampire Christians who suck life out.
vs consumer Christians
How can church exist to reorient our attitudes beyond ourselves?
The church is the body. Bring our lives, families into the light of others.
Doing life together.
god blesses us to bless the body, our experiences our wisdoms..
Holy Spirit turns up when two or more are living life together
Do we consider our space/house etc just a temporary space that we hope to trade up for a better one?
Our minds... what do we dream for?
Do we hope to make our place better, do we serve our locality? Or do we hope for somewhere else or that the council sort it out? Do we see the good, do we look for God's purposes in our place?
Why was the early church so influential?
First 20-30years in Jerusalem..
Black plague came and the Christians were the one group said they would stay.
How are we doing community involvement? Not even picking up litter?!
(7) The World
God's plan for the whole world. A vision to see beyond ourselves..
Bill Hybels: “The [local] church is the hope for the world.”
Why God Values Creation (4 of 5)
Jason Clark, Sutton Vineyard 22/04/07
As a church we are not trying to solve this scientifically, devise some saving technology...
How do we approach the environment? What has Christianity got to offer? Is it just an add on?
You can have social justice etc etc without Jesus
So what does the gospel offer? Where is Jesus in this? What is a biblical approach?
When Jesus is resurrected Mary mistakes him for the gardener.
Creation is groaning..
Revelation 21 – a restored heaven and earth (not new new, destroying the old)
a renewed creation, a new garden.
(1) Issue of resource and provision [our understanding of God's provision vs greed/disconnection]
eg. there's enough food for everyone on the planet, and people go hungry
That people go hungry speaks of our disconnection with God, and with each other.
We use up so much. The planet will run out, we are strip mining the earth?
Deuteronomy 22v6,7 If you come across a birds nest...
Advice on stewardship, on game keeping
If.. then it will go well with you in the land
There are consequences..
(3) Blessing [What do we consider God's blessing to be? Free things?]
Thin Spaces, where God seems close: mountain tops, new born babies
We can find god in poverty stricken etc.. vs we often associate god's blessing with a nice car, a nice house and a nice holiday
So pray: that we see God's purposes in the place you are, how can you be a part of his blessing. How can we find thin spaces on our street.
(4) Pass it down – [ripples from your own lifestyle and attitude - a culture of sustainability, a community]
What are we teaching our kids?
Are we teaching them to pray or to get by and ignore God?
Do we live the consumer story? - Find a good job, get a nice house, save for retirement?
Vs seek ye first the kingdom
What inheritance do we give to our kids.
Seeing the wood from the trees (5 of 5)
Jason Clark, Sutton Vineyard 29/04/07
Micah 6v8 he has shown you what is good, act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with our god
(Facts and figures...)Complexity theory: complex problems generate complex solutions which themselves generate further complex problems -- we end up doing nothing or we hope there is a solution that will deny the problems and make it all go away.
John 3v16 – God so loved the *world* -- we must have an integrated spirituality
God cares, we should.
If the environment is an add-on to our faith we have an inadequate faith in an inadequate god
(2) Wisdom – Job 28v12 What is wisdom? Wisdom is alive [?Prophetic] It is God's perspective on a situation.. Peer reviewed science and intergovernmental panel on climate change... [?link here]
Accountability – 1 Peter 4v17 time for judgement to begin with the family of God
It is not about comparing ourselves to others or non-Christians etc.
This is part of our faith. We do this because we are Christians.
Mother Theresa – “Small things done in love change much”
What if Mother Theresa or Wilberforce stayed at home?
These things change things, inspiring further changes
If global warming is not happening but we live out our lives faithfully to god we will have lost nothing.
Micah 6v8 act justly, love mercy, walk humbly
Justice and the Earth
Steve Nicholson, Evanston 12/02/07
Why should Christians care about the environment?(1) God reveals himself in creation.
Romans 1v20 – Since the beginning... Gods invisible qualities
Nature speaks of God0
If we disregard the value and beauty of nature, we disregard God, his beauty
We disfigure the image, the pointers to God
(2) Creation matters to god
Luke 12v6 – Sparrows for a penny but not forgotten by God
God cares about sparrows, what about the rest of creation
Psalms 104v10 – He gives water to the animals in streams...
he is actively involved, he has created intricate systems..
(4) God has made man responsible
Genesis 1v27 rule over etc..
The earth is the Lord's on loan to us..
Just as your bank, who keeps your money, has to give you interest and a report... parable of the talents.
Matthew 25v14 – God wants a return on his investment. This is not damage mitigation. Have we brought God pleasure? Have be brought it on to a a greater...
Col 1v1-20 in him all things hold together
(6) the poor suffer the most at environmental degredation
the voiceless and powerless make good dumping grounds.
- Overuse and Negative by-products of luxury
- Overuse – we are currently using 20%more than the earth can sustain – of natural resources
30years animal down 40%
coal gas oil inc 700% in last 40 years
- By-products – waste, CO2 etc
10steps you can take
reduce, reuse, recycle
share your house, downsize your house
be thrifty with your heating, wear a jumper
do without your car
buy energy efficient appliances
turn down your heater
don't leave the tap running
ask for an energy audit from your energy supplier
become an informed steward
We are not here as consumers, we are here as stewards.